Tuesday, June 29, 2010

About the title and running out of airtime.

    Ugandatronics? What the hell is Ugandatronics?
I wish I had a better explanation than the one I'm about to give. Something insightful, that makes the nonsense of this title mean something...
The truth is that now, every time I visit my own blog, I have to suppress a twinge of embarrassment.
 Like the picture of you as a kid dressed up like a girl and loving it. Like the recording someone found of post-pubescent you pretending to be a master thespian. You just kinda wish you could change it... or something.
What about the blog settings? Can't you go in and change it to something witty like "Uganda-believe-its-not-butter" or, "Uganda-hell-in-a-handbasket"?
The sad fact is that, coupled with an overall laziness that will ensure no change to the title will occur, It grows on me in some way. How else are we going to differentiate our blog from everybody else's? I guess nonsense is as good a way as any.

     We are visiting home for most of July, and I judged it prudent to call and verify with the Entebbe Airpoirt that our flights were scheduled properly and we will be having no travel-day surprises. What was less prudent was that I made the call with only 1500 shillings airtime on my phone. I knew out the gate that it was a gambit, but I figured "these people are in charge of shooting people through the air, maybe they will have their crap together and do the old flight-number-verification-respond-quickly routine."

Alas, this is Uganda.

   After asking to verify my flight, I was instantly placed on hold, then listened to the same 5 second loop of something Kenny G-ey ten times in a row, not because they only had that much of the song, but because someone kept taking me off hold, then putting me back on again.
This continued until the nice voice-lady for MTN notified me that my call would be dropped due to "insufficient funds" - as if I was some kind of checking account delinquent. I need to do some real planning on how I can double check our info - will it cost me more to hang on the line for thousands of shillings worth of airtime, or to just hop a taxi to Mbale, a bus to Kampala, a taxi to Entebbe, jump on a businessman's back, and get this done face-to-face?

1 comment:

  1. How about having someone from the States follow up on it for you? Or will that cost a small fortune in long distance charges? I am a professional with the telephone you know.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete