Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bumba


     This is Bumba. You won't find him at the local drinking circle. More likely than not he is at home building some doors, or off building a house. He provides for his family and plays with his kids. I wanted to take an opportunity to recognize a Ugandan man who doesn't follow the norms of his culture. He has helped us since we moved in to our new place to make it somewhere that feels like home, and has never asked for a shilling for all of his work. He helped me (and is still helping me) build my thatched hut, again trying to dodge my offers of payment. He has been a translator, policeman, and friend to us. I am happy to know that there are people like him in this country.

3 comments:

  1. I like it. You can see the personality in his face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great drawing, I am sure he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed your work on Youtube and just discovered your blog, consider this added to my google reader. Good luck in Uganda.

    ReplyDelete