Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm a Terrible Host (unless you're gastrointestinal parasite)

To be frank, I had a whole workup of all these differences between Ugandan hosting style and ours, then a copy/paste error destroyed it all. In keeping with my character I refuse to retype it. Suffice it to say that we hosted a few Trainees last week and one of them got a huge gaping leg wound in our backyard.

Cassandra = happy to have a friend.

Visitor = in deifinite pain.

Neighbors = unimpressed with our hosting skills.

 

     On a lighter note, one of my friends was recently robbed at machete blade. We can all agree that the point of a machete is much less intimidating than the blade. I sent a message of condolences and offers to help any way I could, but failed to recognize that the phone would also be stolen. At least my friend's assailant can sleep easy knowing he has a friend in Uganda who is there for him if he needs it...

When we visit Lamu, I'm gonna take a lesson from Crocodile Dundee and trump those bitches with a claymore. 

2 comments:

  1. glad to see an update! You know that now your friends assailant has your phone number!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a Peace Corps Volunteer in Namibia. Im about to finish my service here and we wanna do some traveling. We plan to be in Uganda some time after mid January. Were wondering if you could answer a few questions for us.

    We dont really know many people who have traveled up to Uganda, so we dont really have any leads.

    What are the best things to do in Uganda?

    How much are Visas? Is there any special process we need to know about when buying them?

    Generally how much do food and travel cost?

    Can you free hike, or is that too dangerous? If not what are the general forms of travel, combi, bus, trains, something else?

    Where are the best places to stay?

    What else should we know?

    How many volunteers are there?

    We would appreciate any help you could give us. Please write me back at natebloss@gmail.com if you have time.

    Thanks,
    Nate

    ReplyDelete