Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Learning at the Speed of Cobra Venom

     Yesterday while walking home from the primary school (incidentally it's the route Cassandra prefers for jogging) we happened upon a cobra getting down to business with a frog. Its funny how many things you can learn in less than one second. Among these insta-lessons were the following:

1. Just the sight of a highly-venomouse snake puffing its neck out is enough to render the speech centers in Cassandra's brain nigh inoperable.

2. My supervisor has a vertical leap of nearly a furlong, and the reflexes of a cat/genetically-engineered mongoose. It helps arm me against the day we may need to face off in hand-to-hand combat.

3. I apparently lack some deep seated, life-saving aversion to snakes, which had me following the sucker into the bush fumbling for my camera.

What I can glean from these lessons is the following:

1. If I am ever in an argument with Cassandra, be sure to have a live cobra on hand.

2. If I am ever in hand-to-hand combat with my supervisor, rolling into a ball and protecting my soft underbelly is my only option. It worked great for the hedgehog I brought into the house last night.

3. If I am going to die in Uganda (a statistical certainty), it won't be on public transport-as I had previously assumed-but by blatantly disregarding the dangers of venomous African fauna.

All in all, I think I was able to turn that little episode to my educational benefit.


8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that Sayakas' reflexes are the same as your supervisors when she sees worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caleb, I really hope you are save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, my 11-year old really wants to have your Gerudo Valley on his mp3, could you please email me a copy or alink ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi comboni, I dont thind Caleb has the time for that but you could give me your email and i will send it to you. I still have the original file from his server. I am SonosukeYawara on youtube.
    Cheers
    ~Sono

    PS: Caleb come home save...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please write something so we know your alright...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're doing alright, Caleb, you're great and you deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You haven't posted anything in a long time.

    I have been a fan of you from the earliest of youtube's days.

    I hope you are ok.

    ReplyDelete